If your taste buds desire some sweet surprise, titillate them with the Pasticciotti. Though there is no dearth of Italian pastries, this one has some unique characteristics. With a filling of heavy cream, eggs, almond extract, and having an egg wash on the outer layer, this dessert is easy to make and tastes heavenly. Then without wasting time, let us start with the procedure.
For Making The Dough
- Flour – 2 cups,
- Egg – 1
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- Baking powder – 1 Tsp
- Salt – just a pinch
- Milk – ¼ cup
- Butter – ¼ cup
- Lard – ¼ cup
For Making The Filling
- Cornstarch – 3 tbsp
- Butter – 1 tbsp
- Egg yolks – 2
- Milk – 1 cup
- Cream – ½ cup
- Sugar – ½ cup
- Beaten egg – 1
- Almond extract – 1 tsp
First Prepare The Filling
- Take the cornstarch and sugar in a saucepan. Now pour the heavy cream as well as the milk. Stir all the ingredients with a spoon so that you get a smooth mixture.
- Now put the saucepan on medium flame and keep stirring till the concoction becomes thick. Now add the almond extract, butter along with the egg yolks and mix very well.
- Remove the pan from heat and pour the thick mixture in a bowl. Cover the bowl so that no layer appears on the top during cooling.
Now Making The Pastry
- In a large bowl, mix flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder. Add the lard and butter and mix them so that crumbling starts to appear. Now pour the milk, vanilla extract and egg and knead very well so that you get a smooth dough.
- When the dough is all smooth, cut it into 2 halves and keep them within the fridge for about 1 hour. Do not forget to cover them with plastic.
- Spread some flour on the cooking board and start to roll the first piece of dough. Make sure that the rolled out dough is a ¼ inch thick. Now take a pastry cutter of 3 inches and cut 12 rounds from the rolled out dough.
- Now take a pastry mold and place 1 round in it. Put some of the fillings in it and place another 3 inches around on the top. Press the mold so that the upper and lower dough layer gets fixed and the filling remains intact in the middle.
- Make all pastries like this. When done, keep the molded pastry in the fridge for the whole night. Next morning, coat them with the beaten eggs.
- Take a baking dish and put the egg-washed pastries on it. Insert in the oven and bake for around 15 minutes at 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
Do you like chocolate? Then you can prepare chocolaty custard to go inside the pastries. If you are having a party next weekend, you can make the pastries in advance and keep them in the fridge. Just take them out 15 minutes before baking and bake the pastries and serve fresh and delicious pastries to your guests.