How To Make Vegetarian Baked Ziti
Get ready with your aprons and pans, cause we have a vegetarian ziti to bake! The blend of lasagna’s sauciness, the shredded appeal of mozzarella alongside stuffed seitan sausage, makes it a heavenly bliss. The cheesy richness, without a doubt, can make anyone crave the dish. The dish has high protein content. Vegetarian Baked Ziti takes barely 30 minutes for complete preparation. Moreover, Vegetarian Baked Ziti is perfectly healthy and an easy recipe for any weekend. An easy peasy task to pull off for an exquisite healthy delicacy. Amen!
- 1 lb. ziti pasta
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- One medium onion chopped
- Two cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- One tsp. dried or fresh oregano
- 1 (28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- One 1/2 c. fresh ricotta
- 1 (10-oz). package frozen spinach, drained and chopped
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes – crush them
- A pinch of Kosher salt
- Black pepper – freshly ground
- 2 tbsp. thinly sliced basil, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 c grated Parmesan
- 2 c. shredded mozzarella
Steps To Prepare The Vegetarian Baked Ziti:
- Preheat your oven to 350C. Place a large pot of boiling water with salt and add pasta. Let the pasta cook until it becomes soft, drain the excess water.
- Take a large saucepan and add oil over medium flame, heat it. After the oil heats up, add onion and stir it for five minutes. Wait until the onion turns soft.
- Add garlic, oregano, tomato paste to the pan and cook for an additional two minutes. Let the mix heat slowly until it turns slightly dark.
- Crush the tomatoes to form a puree and season the mix with salt and pepper. Reduce heat and let the sauce simmer, stir it occasionally. Do the same for 15-30 minutes until the flavours for the Vegetarian Baked Ziti blend in thoroughly.
- After this, remove this from the heat and stir it continuously in basil.
- While this puree is reducing, add ricotta, a half lemon zest, crushed red pepper flakes into a bowl of medium size.
- The two final mixes for the Vegetarian Baked Ziti dish is ready, now take a big bowl.
- In this bowl, add the saucy mix and the pasta. Take the ricotta mixture and fold it in, leaving clumps.
- Take a large casserole dish; spread half of the pasta mixture into the bottom layer. For the next layer, sprinkle the cheese – parmesan and mozzarella over the pasta. Continue the same layering alternatively- pasta and cheese.
- For the final step, cover the entire dish with foil. Bake it for about 20 – 25 minutes until you see the cheese bubbling. And voila! Your Vegetarian Baked Ziti is ready! Garnish your dish with basil or oregano before serving.