How To Make Ciabatta At Home
The types of Italian bread will amaze you with their unique taste and different texture. Focaccia, Ciabatta, pandoro, grissini, farinata, penia, taralli are some of their iconic bread, which have created a storm in the world. Like their distinct names, the cooking method of each variety is different too. Today I am going to teach you how to make Ciabatta bread.
Preparation time – 20 minutes
Cooking time – 20 minutes
For Making The Sponge
- Warm water – 1 cup
- Bread flour – 1cup
- Dry yeast – 1/8 tsp
For Making The Bread
- Warm milk – 2 tbsp
- Olive oil – 1 tbsp
- Warm water – 2/3 cup
- Bread flour – 2 cups
- Salt – 1 ½ tsp
- Dry yeast – ½ Tsp
Making The Sponge First
In a bowl add the dry yeast and 1 tbsp of warm water. Keep it aside for a few minutes so that the yeast becomes creamy. Now mix the remaining warm water and bread flour with the yeast. Wrap the bowl with plastic and keep it untouched for a minimum of 12 hours. You can keep it maximum for one day.
Making The Bread
- Take a bowl and mix the warm milk with the dry yeast. Let the yeast rise. It will take about 5 minutes. When the yeast becomes creamy, transfer it in the electric blender.
- Now add the bread flour, salt, the sponge, warm water and olive oil into the milky yeast and blend till you get a smooth dough.
- Put the dough in a bowl coated with oil and wrap with plastic. Keep it like this for about 2 hours so that the volume of the dough becomes double.
- Now take it and put it on a flat surface coated with flour. Now divide the dough into 2 halves and place each of them on parchment paper. Give an uneven oval shape to each half and coat them with flour.
- Do not touch them for a minimum of 2 hours. During this time, each half will increase in their volume.
- Put a baking stone in the lower rack and preheat it at 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Keep in mind that you have to do this step at least 40 minutes prior to baking the bread.
- Take the loaves from the parchment and place on baking rimless sheet. Tilt the loaves in such a manner that one of them faces the front half of the baking stone while another loaf will face the back of the baking stone.
- You need to bake the Ciabatta in this manner for at least 20 minutes. When they become nice and golden, take them out and let them cool.
You can have freshly baked Ciabatta bread with butter or dip it into your espresso or cappuccino and witness the lusciousness.
If you are in a hurry, it is better to prepare the sponge in advance so that you can bake the bread the next day quickly. This rustic and little tangy bread having a heart crust will make you glued to it.