Whether you like to serve it with salad or add it to your pasta dish, Italian sausage can never fail to delight your taste buds. Italian sausage can be cooked in many ways and baking is one of them. Well, baking those sweet or hot sausages is a simple affair. You can also toss them with peppers and even onions and olives before baking. Beginners can learn how to bake Italian sausage from the guide given below.
Bake Italian Sausage & Peppers
The process of baking Italian sausage takes about 20 minutes along with prior preparation of 10 minutes or so.
16 oz. Italian sausage (sweet, mild or hot)
1 cup diced red pepper
3/4 cup sliced yellow pepper
1 diced onion
1 1/2 Tsp. Italian seasoning
3/4 Tbsp. cooking oil of choice
Salt plus pepper
Take a large sheet pan and drizzle some oil on it. Preheat your oven to 340-350 degrees. Meanwhile, wash and cut your veggies. Place the chopped veggies along with sausage on the sheet. Top with some more oil, salt, and pepper. Garnish with Italian seasoning and bake the sausage for about 20 minutes. In the end, sausages shouldn’t look pink from the sides as well as the middle. Serve with your favorite salad or add in your pizza, soup, or pasta dish.
Tip: Place the baked sausage and peppers under your broiler for about 2-3 minutes if you like charred peppers and brown sausage.
Bake Italian Sausage With Sauce
If you don’t like dry sausage, cook it with some tomato sauce. You can also stir in some cheese for a cheesy flavor.
1 pound or more Italian sausage
20 oz. crushed tomatoes
2-3 minced garlic cloves
1 cup sliced bell peppers
1/4 cup white wine
1/2 cup diced onion
1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
Spray a large sheet pan with oil and heat your oven to about 375 degrees. Set sausage chunks on the sheet and set aside. Meanwhile, combine the wine, tomatoes, seasoning, and salt in a bowl. You can add crushed red peppers to the bowl if you want a spicy flavor. Add the garlic, diced onion, and sliced peppers to the bowl and let the mixture incorporate well. Pour it over the sausage pieces and bake for 65 minutes or until sausage softens completely. Cheese lovers can add cheese to the sheet pan in the last two minutes and serve!
Tip: Bread and tortilla go well with these saucy sausages. You can also eat the dish with buns or add it over pasta.
Some Important Suggestions
- Add Italian seasoning more if you want a truly distinctive taste. However, you can use less if you are adding sausage to soups or serving it with salad.
- Coat your sausage and peppers with enough oil. You can use olive oil, soybean oil, or even canola oil. Butter also works fine on Italian sausages.
- Use sweet Italian sausage for sandwiches and salads or spicy sausage if you are adding it to soups. You can go for chicken sausage, pork meat, or turkey sausage as per your taste.
- Add a mix of red peppers, green, and yellow peppers to make your sausage dish more flavorful and healthy.
- If you are not using wine, you can use chicken broth or even vegetable broth.
- Italian sausages can last for up to 4 days in the fridge. Place the sausage in a container and cover before refrigerating them.
- Stuff the sausage with cheese, red peppers, and other ingredients if you like. You can even stuff big peppers with sausage, veggies, cheese, and seasonings and then bake the peppers.