Famous Italian Chopped Salad: Classic Recipe
Are you in search of a salad that will not only make your tummy full but will also make your heart cheerful? A salad that is loaded with all kinds of ingredients? Yes! Then go for this Italian salad without a doubt. In Italy, it is called as the busy salad due to its so many ingredients. Loaded with the goodness of different kinds of veggies and topped with excellent Italian vinaigrette, this recipe is quite addicting.
If you are having a barbecue or a potluck or it is a dull summer night, this quintessential salad serves as the perfect showstopper. An ideal accompaniment to go with grilled fish or chicken or any Italian delicacy, a bowl of this salad alone can be used as dinner or lunch.
Preparation time – 20 minutes
Serve – 7 people
- Extra virgin olive oil – 1 ½ cups
- Red onion – 1, small, cut into half
- Garbanzo beans – 1 ½ cups
- Romaine lettuce – 1, large head
- Parmesan cheese – 1/3 cup, grated
- Radicchio – 1, medium head
- Peperoncini – 5, cut into thin slices after discarding the stem
- Cherry tomatoes – 1 pint, cut into halves
- Cucumber – 1, peeled and sliced
- Kalamata olives – ½ cup
- Oregano vinaigrette – ½ cup
- Red wine vinegar – 2 ½ tsp
- Dried oregano – a pinch
- Lemon juice – ½
- Garlic – 2 cloves, smashed
- Basil – 1 Tsp
- Black pepper – to taste
- First, take a bowl of ice water and put the slices of red onion in it and keep the bowl aside for a few minutes. In the meantime, cut the lettuce and radicchio in thin slices and add in a big bowl.
- Now, add the tomatoes, garbanzo beans, slices of cucumber, sliced Pepperoncini and cheese in the big bowl. Take the onion slices out of cold water and pat dry and mix with all the veggies.
- Pour the oregano vinaigrette along with lemon juice on the veggies and toss them so that everything gets mixed properly.
- Sprinkle a dash of black pepper and the dry oregano and give them a toss. Taste the seasoning. If needed, you can add a little more lemon juice and vinaigrette and also black pepper.
Preparing The Dressing For The Salad
- When the salad is ready in the bowl, start making the dressing. Take another bowl and add the Kalamata olives, red wine vinegar, oregano, crushed garlic, and parmesan cheese and lemon juice. Mix them thoroughly.
- Add the basil and put the bowl aside for a few minutes so that all the flavors can come together.
- Now pour the olive oil slowly in this dressing and keep stirring constantly but softly so that the oil gets infused with all the ingredients.
- When the dressing is made, pour it on top of the salad bowl and mix them with soft hands.
- Thus, chopped salad is ready to welcome you with all its bright colors, flavors and spices and various veggies and olives and the exclusive dressing. Make it, and you will love it.