Italy has been ever famous for its delicious food and yummy desserts. Pasta, Pizza, Desserts – they know it all! Italy boasts of so many desserts that we know as their traditional dishes. And they make it better than anyone else can. Especially cookies. The word ‘cookie’ in Italian means anything that is cooked twice. Today, in this article, we focus on some of the best Italian Cookie Recipes. We bring to you the recipes of some of the best cookies, and, straight from Italy! Read on to know more – – –
Best Italian Cookie Recipes –
1. Biscotti Di Prato
Ingredients required – 9 ounces all-purpose flour, 1.5 tsp. Baking powder, 1/4th tsp. Baking salt, 6 ounces of sugar, two eggs, four almonds, one egg yolk.
- Mix all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat it all together to form a soft dough. Add the almonds towards the end of mixing and knead the dough gently.
- Take the dough on a flat surface dividing it into four equal balls. Then, take each of this ball, flatten it and roll it up into cigar-shaped logs(6 inches long and 2 inches wide).
- Preheat the oven to 450F. Then lay them on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake until it looks golden. You may glaze the rolls gently now, should you wish to.
- Then, lower the oven temp to 300F. Cut the logs into slices of about 1 inch while they are still warm. Spread each slice on the baking sheet and put it in the oven for about 15 odd minutes more.
- Let it cool down completely and store them in air-tight containers. That way, you will be able to enjoy it for weeks.
(Note – If you want to sugar glaze it, prepare a simple glaze, and evenly spread it over. You can also sprinkle fine sugar if you may. Also, you can easily substitute the chopped almonds for dry-fruits, chocolate chips, nuts, etc. for variation)
2. Neapolitan Cookies
Ingredients required – 2 and ½ cups all-purpose flour, ½ tsps. Salt, ½ tsps. Baking powder, one egg, and one egg yolk, 1 cup fine sugar, 1 cup unsalted butter, one and ½ tsps. Vanilla extract, 1 tbsp. Strawberry jam, ½ tsps. Almond extract, ¼ tsps. Strawberry extract, pink/red food colour, one and ½ tbsp. Cocoa powder, 1 ounce melted and slightly cooled semi-sweet chocolate.
- Mix up the dry and wet ingredients in a mixing bowl very well and gently to make the base dough. Divide the resulted block of dough into three uniform portions and keep one of them aside.
- To make the strawberry dough, we shall mix one drop of food colour along with the strawberry jam. Also, add in the almond extract and strawberry extract. Beat up all the ingredients well into one portion of the dough.
- To make the chocolate dough, we shall mix up the cocoa powder and the melted chocolate with the last portion of the dough and beat it up on low speed until we get the desired consistency.
- Take a loaf pan and spread out aluminum foil over it. Stack up chocolate dough over the vanilla dough and strawberry dough at its base. Firmly press the dough to even it out. Chill it in the freezer for one to three hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Flat lay two baking sheets and slice the dough block into small, neat rectangular cookies. It should be the size of a small domino. Arrange them on the baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes until it starts looking slightly brown.
- Let it cool completely and store them well. You can dip it into melted chocolate and enjoy it, should you wish to.
Cookies are a traditional dish of Italy that we can easily prepare using simple ingredients. Their recipes maybe a little fancy to pronounce but rather uncomplicated when it comes to making them. Enjoy!